Monday 18 June 2007

You're A Fine Man, Mr. Feynman

I am ABSOLUTELY rubbish at Physics. I only managed to pass a 'high-school' level course, here, in the UK, a few years ago. Then, it was only because I sat next to someone who understood Physics and agreed to be my lab partner, out of sympathy and bribe consisting of a daily cappucino and pain au chocolat. However, I have recently been reading through a book of letters written by the late, great Richard P Feynman entitled, Don't You Have Time to Think?, and I thought I would have another go at tackling some of the more elementary principles of Physics. I found a brilliant website, yesterday, which has a few fun experiments and explanations for why the world operates as it does.

Have a go, follow the 'Feynman' link and see what you think. Is Richard P. Feynman a fine man? If you get the opportunity to find the 'Horizon' documentary on You Tube and hear what he has to say on his involvement in developing the atomic bomb, does it change things for you?

2 comments:

Janet Kincaid said...

My friend, MaryAnn of the Professor and MaryAnn, once recommended a book on Feynman that she said was 'brilliant', no pun intended. I'll see if she remembers the title.

As for physics, I failed to excel at that, as well, which is why I chose geology as my science credit in college. Ironically, though, physics is the foundation of pretty much all sense since it has to do with why things do what they do, are what they are, behave as they behave. I guess there is no escaping it, is there?

hm-uk said...

No, it's true that physics plays a huge part of our understanding of how matter behaves, but it's difficult to get a good teacher in the sciences, sometimes. I think, though, that if I had had Feynman in school or college then I would have really sucked up all the information I could. I would love to track down some DVDs on his lectures, I believe they are entitled, 'Six Easy Pieces'.