Wednesday 13 June 2007

The Benefits of Aging, Part Un

Hopefully I can offer an antidote to yesterday's miserable post bemoaning my ungraceful and inevitable aging. I present to you the Benefits of Aging, Part I

1. Adults are rarely regarded suspiciously by shopkeepers for being rabblerousers, shoplifters, troublemakers and vandals. This suspicion is even less so if the shoppers mentioned above have gray hair.

2. Aging gives one an excuse for bad dance moves. I was known for being able to shake my groove thing, in my time. I now look much less like 'one of the gang' out on the dancefloor and more like a drunk-uncle-at-a-wedding.

3. Less drama. Fewer breakups and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

4. A savings account. A pension. Equity.

5. Perspective. Usually by the time people hit forty they've had one of each on the a la carte menu of experiences. An equal amount of good and bad events tempers your perspective. I make exceptions on this for some people, most likely those who belong to fringe groups, conservative political parties and royalty.

There are other benefits to aging, I am sure. I will open the floor for you to list what you believe are the benefits to aging and perhaps this will warrant a part deux.

5 comments:

Janet Kincaid said...

If my hip and my knee joints didn't hurt right now as a result of my age and changes in my cycle, I'd list some benefits here. (And we're not even at the actual period itself yet. This is just the stuff preceding it. TMI, huh?) Obviously I'm not feeling it right now...

Check back tomorrow morning, after I've had two Advil, one Estroven, a hot shower, and good nights sleep....

hm-uk said...

Hope you're feeling a bit better today. I suppose when we were younger, we could have just bunked off school and hid under the covers, watching PBS or videos. What's Estroven, by the way?

Janet Kincaid said...

Okay, today is definitely better. Let's see.... The benefits of aging....

As always, hindsight is 20/20, but as you get older, you seem to think things through more critically, thus avoiding the need for 20/20 hindsight.

I've learned that I don't have to say every.single.thing. that pops into my head. In other words, discretion is a good thing and a trait I appreciate more with age.

I've learned which battles to pick and which to drop.

Calling it a night at 9:00 is okay because I'm older. But, getting up early--rather than sleeping in--means I get more done before traffic and stores become crazy. Taking a nap in the afternoon is acceptable. And enjoyable.

An evening spent at home with friends and good food and music is an acceptable, 'cool' way to socialize.

There's less panic and drama when life happens. Instead, I just roll with the flow.

Living above the poverty line is a definite plus.

I appreciate relationships in ways I hadn't before and I tend to jettison those that aren't healthy.

That's all I've got right now....

Oh, and Estroven is a vitamin supplement for women that helps balance out wacky hormones. It's a nice alternative to birth control for regulating the emotional flucuations and aches and pains that are a part of menstruating. Love the stuff!

tina FCD said...

Sometimes you could just give a shit less about doing your hair, no one looks anyway! :)

If someone's moving to another location, they don't ask you to do the heavy lifting.

The best part I think, seriously is seeing your children grow up and see their children.

hm-uk said...

Tina:

Very nicely stated. However, I'm sure your hair looks lovely!