Monday 18 June 2007

Oh I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside...

Monday afternoon. I'm still thinking about the weekend and my visit to the South East coast. Brighton, in East Sussex, is a lovely little town, and together with its neighbour to the west, Hove, make up the City of Brighton and Hove. I believe it was given city status by the Queen, in 2000, to commemorate the millennium - most 'cities' in the UK are required to have a cathedral, the status is not normally based on population. There's something so fresh and exhausting about the sea. I walked along the shingle beach and found some rubbish that had washed ashore from France (a 3-ring binder with French writing and logo - vive la France!) Across the water, some 40 miles away is Dieppe, which has a lovely museum at the top of a hill with a collection of Georges Braques paintings and prints, as well as some Walter Sickert paintings, which are quite haunting. What you may not know about Sickert is that there is speculation, in some circles, that he was actually Jack the Ripper.

The gardens in Sussex Square were in full bloom and I spent about an hour just sitting on a bench in an ivy-covered suntrap, reading the newspaper. It was glorious. If you'd like to have a look some pictures of the gardens just click here.

The sea air really does wear me out and I took a nap in the middle of the afternoon, which is something I haven't done in AGES! Now, here I am at the beginning of another week wishing that the weekends were longer or Brighton was closer. I will have to wait until next Saturday for another dose of positive ions...

5 comments:

Janet Kincaid said...

Me, too. Me, too!

I wish we lived closer to the shore. I love to sit and listen to the waves crash and ebb and flow on the beach. The colors of the water, the sky, the wind, the sun--rising and setting...

Some of my best writing happens when I'm at the beach. Which is another reason I miss it. I think my writing has suffered, or at least has lacked a certain depth and texture as a result of not being as accessible to the beach and the water as I have been previously.

hm-uk said...

I always loved living in Boston for its close proximity to the water, which is interesting since I grew up in such an arid climate, totally landlocked and lacking in anything resembling a body of water (not even a salty lake!!)

Thanks, by the way, for telling me how to embed an html link. Now, can you give me a hand with inserting photos??? Heh, heh, I bet that's a self-explanatory photograph icon!

Janet Kincaid said...

HM: There is a photo icon. It's a square with what looks like a mountain and blue sky above it. When you click on it, it opens a window that lets you browse for a picture from your files. It also lets you decide where to place it in the page and what size you want it to be.

From a layout standpoint, I'd suggest using a browser like Mozilla Firefox. That'll make it easy to cut and paste either the picture itself or the html code into the exact spot you want it in. Otherwise, all the pictures automatically place themselves at the very top of your entry.

Hope that helps. If not, we should set up with Skype and then I can walk you through it in real time.

http://skype.com

hm-uk said...

Cheers for the offer. I was just being a bit cheeky when I made the flip comment about the photo icon. I've been alternating between Safari and Firefox as my browser, so I was able to see the 'mountain photo' icon. The Skype thing sounds good - the S/O is a bit reluctant so it's softly, softly for now.

Janet Kincaid said...

Ah, the SO. Well, as you know, nothing nefarious or untoward intended with Skype, but all in good time. (Skype is, for me, like my cell phone. Never on. Unless someone emails me and says, "Turn on Skype, you silly bitch, I want to phone you." Ah, me and my ambivalent relationship to technology!)

Looking forward to the photos you post. By the way--you mentioned Safari and Firefox. With the former, does this mean you're working from a Mac? How divine! Mac's rule!