Monday 4 June 2007

Googling the 'Tinsel Effect'

Right then, on we go. I Googled 'Tinsel Effect' and the competition I have for naming my theory is from a scientific paper published in Washington state for the International Society for Optical Engineering proceedings series, in 2000, observing what happens when:

"2-(2'-hydroxy-5'-methylphenyl)-5-chlorobenzotriazole (TINC1) compound belongs to class of compound in which after UV excitation intramolecular proton transfer reaction takes place in solid state at room temperature. Newly created proton-transferred form fluoresces in the red range of the spectrum. Microscopic study of micrometer size fluorescing crystals gives an opportunity to observe guiding and amplification of spontaneously emitted light. Maximum of light traveling along the crystal is shifted towards high-energy range. We called this transfer in needle of spontaneously emitted luminescence as TINSEL effect Taking into account the total internal reflection phenomenon, qualitative explanation of TINSEL effect was done. TINSEL gives new possibility of application TINC1 as homogeneous core fiber."
I've tried to understand the abstract of this paper. I've lifted the extract from French website and so it may be a direct translation from English to French, and back into English - or perhaps I just haven't a clue as to what the paper actually entails. It seems that whatever happens in this chemical reaction, exactly, the resulting fluorescent red glow is probably quite a lovely spectacle to behold. Who knows, it might be as exciting to glimpse as chucking a bit of pure sodium (Na) into H2O and watching the sparks fly! Anyway, I'm sure that if anyone in the realm of science or industry reads this blog and feels strongly that I should change the name of my burgeoning theoretical position (and or blog), then I shall. Until that time, I will continue to compete with the only other non-commercial use for the words 'tinsel effect' as a free patent for a process for producing viscose hoses by precipitation, as well as a few thousand other commercial sites advertising tinsel-based products.

So much for the research aspect of this project. Onward and outward...




3 comments:

Janet Kincaid said...

I think you can safely appropriate the blog name "Tinsel Effect" without fear of copyright infringement or annoying the scientific establishment! Besides, your use of the phrase is much more philosophical and existential than the rest. That alone should be permission enough!

hm-uk said...

Don't you mean exist-tinsel? Ha, thanks, Janet! I'm hoping to expand on the whole tinsel theory and just try to get to the bones of a subject. Please feel free to be as critical as you like of anything mentioned here.

Janet Kincaid said...

Exist-tinsel. Excellent. Yes, I think I did mean that! See... All the more reason for you to appropriate the name!