Friday 6 July 2007

Wanderlust

I've been getting the urge to wander lately. It happens when I'm particularly stressed out or in need of some new scenery. Fortunately, London allows my wanderlust to be satisfied, to a degree. I was speaking about my urge with a friend who told me that she wished that the UK still had a bohemian set (ala Bloomsbury) - wandering philosophers who weren't tied to a job - that fed society with ideas, practical, wacky and unimaginable. Internet communication does that to some extent, but there's nothing like getting together with great minds to discuss things that scratch below the surface. The physical wandering will have to wait, for me, for now. I've got things to attend to, however, another great thing about the Internet is the chance to see the, yet, unexplored. I've come across an updated version of a BBC idea that runs a camera the length of the London to Brighton train line and then speeds it up. This newer, time-lapse version of the journey is one that I've taken many times. The nice thing about this is that you can be there in two minutes, rather than 50-odd. Happy viewing.

2 comments:

Janet Kincaid said...

The trip to Brighton looks lovely. I wish they'd run an Amtrak line from D.C. to Rehoboth. That would at least make the trip out there something of an adventure.

One day I'm coming to England and taking the train to Brighton. You game?

hm-uk said...

I'm game, it's a lovely hour-long trip. You're welcome to visit merry ol' and stay with us...I'm sure that once you got across the Atlantic you'd be in high demand and have loads of visiting to do with others, but you could always base yourself in London and branch out from there.

It's a shame that Amtrak doesn't cover more places in the US. I love travelling by train - my favourite train journey is the London to Paris train, under the English Channel, but only after you get on the French tracks. It's lovely to be speeding through the French countryside at 100mph. Second favourite train ride was the Boston, MA to Ipswich ride. Third favourite is the London to Brighton journey - it's like going home.