Thursday 24 January 2008

Why Quitters Sometimes Win, Part 2

Throughout my time in the M*rmon church, there were other incidents that led me to question the truthfulness of the doctrine that was presented to me. I thought that I could eventually reconcile the unsettling beliefs generated by the church - the racist doctrine and mythology that taught the creator of all things might play favourites with one skin colour, the sexist dogma that insisted that women were equal to men in positions of subservience and had no choice in the matter within the organization, the pressure to procreate beyond a family's financial or emotional means, a lack of desire to engage with the wider world (in the world but not 'of' the world) except in the context of proselytizing and the competitive righteousness that was firmly ingrained in the congregations' collective understanding of heaven, hell and every level in between. I knew by the time I was twelve what kinds of offenses would get you into which level or kingdom of heaven, and which ones would get you banished into outer darkness for time and all eternity.
Growing up in the 80's and having the horrors of World War II pounded into us, we all assumed that Ad*lph H*tler would have had his boots, jodhpurs and mustache fixed firmly in hell, but a quick check on a few Google sites, yesterday, assured me that, indeed, Mr *itler had had all his temple endowments done for him and would have the opportunity to enjoy the highest kingdom of heaven, at some stage. Whether this was a hoax perpetuated by anti-M*rmon sources, or whether the documentation was, indeed, generated by the London temple still gives me pause for thought. Would I really want to belong to an organization that has so overtly given the option of salvation to a mass murderer, when I cannot even hope to attain the same? If the Hitler temple documentation is not really true and anti-M*rmon sources have created a hoax to discredit the church then shame on them, the church has enough controversy to bring it to its knees. The racism I experienced as a youth and young adult against my friends was enough to seal the deal for me. I grew up among the Lamanites and counted them as my friends. I couldn't understand why they had such a raw deal on the reservations until I learned that they were constantly being punished by god for their iniquitous history. Hey, that makes sense and absolves me of any guilt or responsibility! Their darkened skin was a result of rebellion shortly after they arrived in the Americas, from the Middle East. Cough, cough. They would have a series of chances to 'lighten up' if they turned towards god and gave the Nephites a chance to save them with the only true gospel and a sweet little program called Indian Placement. Seriously folks, I learned that my friends were inferior not only in the eyes of the government, but also in the eyes of god. Problem was, in my head most of the Navajo actually had their sh*t together a lot more than I did. The Navajo friends I had gone to primary school with who had the missionaries around to convert them almost always did a few years away in Arizona or Utah with a white M*rmon family. The idea was that their education would have been supplemented by living in an English-speaking family and that their salvation would have been overseen by a priesthood-holding bunch of M*rmons. The reality was that they often returned to the reservation having forgotten their language and had been left out of important family events. I don't know if their education improved as a result, but I seriously doubt it. The doctrine taught to the white seminary students who remained behind was that our Lamanite friends would return whiter and more delightsome in the eyes of god. Who needs to know that H*tler is hanging out with Jesus now? If the N*zi connection with M*rmonism bears out as truth then the wider world will know what I've been convinced of, for years.

6 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Wow, that placement program was messed up on so many levels. So sad.

hm-uk said...

Yeah, I agree. My family believe that I went astray because of other more personal issues that specifically pertained more to me, but those I could have easily rationalized. The active eradication of native culture by placing children with white families with the promise of a better education was as racist as the doctrine that the Lamanites' skin color would lighten as a result of living in Utah. I wonder how many Lamanites were privy to that information?

hm-uk said...

I have to say that it's really difficult for me to write about something that I'm passionate about without sounding like a wanker. I recognize this but it will probably never change.

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Who said you sound like a wanker?

As someone who grew up in Utah and went to school with many Native Americans, I never realized the extent or impact of the Church's policy toward the Lamanites. I know Spencer Kimball was a huge proponent of programs for the Indians, but being a TBM at that time, I never questioned them.

You continue to bring this issue to the fore in a way that is eye-opening and enlightening. (As well as maddening, but only in the sense that it ticks me off that I didn't know this stuff previously.)

Has anyone in or out of Mormon academia done any honest scholarship on this? If I was still actively engaged in academic pursuits, I'd be inclined to write about this based wholly on what you've shared.

hm-uk said...

I think that I've read one or two articles where the Placement Program has been described as a relatively benign entity, however, I believe that I recall the people who were interviewed were still active M*rmons. I would like to get in touch with some friends who went on the program, specifically one ex-b/f who had an especially difficult time trying to get 'back into the swing of things' at home, after having been schooled in Utah for 8+ years...
I think it might be difficult to approach the subject myself, as I am quite biased and have a definite feeling about the subject. I suppose that it would be no different if someone came in and offered M*rmon families a place in a rich C*tholic household and tuition to Notre Dame if only they would allow their children to be baptized into the Catholic Church and be taken there for religious instruction. The Navajos already had a religion and it was mostly economics that made them give up their children to the M*rmons - why didn't they allow the children to be placed with other Lamanite member families on the reservation, instead, and financially support those families to take them? I could draw a lot of conclusions but I think the only TRUE answers lie within the minds of a handful of dead brethren.

beatdad said...

Hi hm,

I struggle to take Mormonism seriously, but then I am reminded about some of the sillier beliefs;

Such as the skin color as a curse

What is amazing to me, is that I could be taught that, believe it, but somehow grow up seeing that the "Lamanites" were just as "good" as me.

On the other hand; one of my classmates in a college psychology class, who was Black Muslim, quite seriously told me that white people were the product of an ancient African "mad scientist.

Everyone has inexplicably odd beliefs, I guess.