Wednesday 5 December 2007

Happy Birthday, Tendy!

Today you are two. Your day started off a bit shaky and in the last twenty-four hours you have been asserting your will in a way I have never before seen. It is, in equal measures, thrilling and frustrating for you are no longer content to follow me blindly. You have things you want to do and places you want go to and all the menial tasks like brushing your hair and teeth and putting on clothes are completely useless exercises.

I have been fortunate to know you like no other child. We are together for ten hours a day, five days a week and even though I am not your mother, you are like my child. I wish for you a life full of experience. I want you to know what it is like to hurt, to feel joy, to have the confidence to make mistakes and the humility to recognize your failings. I want you to try to be patient with others and with yourself - life is full of repetition and is often mundane. I will try to show you the beauty in boredom and the glory in watching the world go past.

I want for you to be as honest with others and yourself as you can possibly be - you will be able to build a more authentic self when you know what your reality truly is. I hope you always take the opportunity to make someone else's day brighter with your beautiful smile - it's one of the unsung perks of my job to watch your face light up.

Today you are two. Happy Birthday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two is such a fun age. The whole world is a wonder at that age and thinks as banal as ants are utterly fascinating!

Some days, I wish I was two again...

Anonymous said...

Oh, sweet! Happy B-Day, Tendy! You have a very good nanny. :-)

Sister Mary Lisa said...

You are an amazing woman. Your love for this child who is not your own flesh and blood shines through your words clearly.

Love this post.